In the first half of the 20th century, the bishops of West Virginia wanted to create a series of summer Christian education conferences in a setting that would encourage serenity and inner peace.
The bishops explored many sites throughout the state before they came across 50 acres near Romney, WV that were for sale. The site was rich with possibilities for nature walks, hiking trails, camping, and the building of cottages and other buildings. The land was bought – the bishops also leased an adjacent thousand acres of farm and timber land – and the Camp Peterkin Camp & Conference Center was dedicated on June 26, 1947.
Named for George William Peterkin (March 21, 1841 - September 28, 1916), who in 1878 was elected the first bishop of the newly-created West Virginia Diocese, today the Center is a refuge from the stress and hectic pace of everyday life and a place that encourages visitors to reconnect with nature, each other, and the Christian life.
LEARNING FOR PEOPLE OF ALL AGES
Peterkin hosts meetings and retreats and offers year-round accommodations for individuals and families (there are two tennis courts, a softball field, volleyball and basketball courts, a pool
for warmer weather, and miles of charted roads for
walking, hiking, and jogging).
The Center also holds a series of popular summer camps for youth, adults, and families.
The Center’s motto is Living Under Grace, and time spent at Peterkin is a reminder of how important that simple phrase is.